Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Patience Is A Virtue

Well, I have yet to finish drafting all of the frames but I could not wait any longer to do some actual cutting. Even though the thought of cutting into this expensive plywood is somewhat unnerving, I decided to go ahead and cut out some of the 9mm frames that I have already drafted and that have simple geometry. A few interesting things happened while doing this....

Now, I will be the first to admit that I am not yet a true woodworker so these findings may seem trivial to those with more experience....

I decided that in order to make the process a little easier, I would cut the large plywood board into a more manageable piece that would allow for easy manipulation to cut the smaller frames. I made the cut very quickly with the jigsaw and found that the outer lamina splintered along the curves (as seen in the image). This is a little concerning. I had read that Meranti plywood is prone to splintering and have thus confirmed it. I will have to pay attention to grain direction and also adjust the jigsaw blade speed and feed rate when I cut curves on the actual frames. I am also wondering if a small coat of epoxy on the outer lamina around the curves would also help prevent this from happening.

It also turns out that my freehand attempt at cutting straight lines with a jigsaw is not as good as I thought it was...overconfident from my sailplane days. It seems a guide is in order. I think the frames I cut will suffice but being somewhat OCD about things like this I will not continue until I get a guide. I am looking at a Bora Cutting Guide to help alleviate the issue. I know that a peice of straight metal and a couple of clamps would work but the thought of a quick release cutting guide is enticing.

All in all...I have my first frames cut...exciting stuff!