Sunday, November 4, 2012

That Sticky Stuff

I did a little bit of research on the different types of epoxies (west system, progressive, system three, marinepoxy, etc) mainly looking at cost. A coworker of mine suggested Progressive Epoxy (Basic No Blush Marine Epoxy) that he used on some repairs on his boat. It was relatively cheap and had a good reputation. Here is the website that has a lot of good information for those interested.


I thought about it but ended up going with Marinepoxy sold by Duckworks. It turned out to be a little bit cheaper and was recommended by some previous Navigator builders. It has a 2:1 mix ratio and three different hardener speeds (slow, medium, fast). Only being a novice (at best) boat builder, I felt this was the best way to go. I ended up getting the 'Navigator Epoxy Kit' for $260. It included 3 gallons of epoxy, fiberglass tape/cloth, wood flour, and silica thickener. Here is the link:


I also purchased some stainless steel hardware, pumps for the epoxy and 8" deck panels for Bulkhead 3. My fellow coworker was nice enough to give me some tongue depressors that he had left over from his boat repair. Here are a few pictures of all the new goodies....